History of the Building
About the Levi Heywood Memorial Building
The Gardner Museum was established in 1978 in the Levi Heywood Memorial Library building. Designed by Fuller and Delano of Worcester, the building was completed in 1886 and is now one of the finest extant examples of Richardson Romanesque architecture. Notable museum architectural details include stained glass windows throughout and numerous decorative plaques. Since at the time of the building's construction Gardner was known as the “Chair City of the World," the shape of a chair was incorporated into the center front façade of the building (see picture above). Some interior features include three ornate brick and stone fireplaces and beautifully preserved oak moldings. The Gardner Museum was individually placed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located in the Gardner Uptown National Register Historic District.